Public Dealing at IPO Offices
IPO-Pakistan offices will resume public dealing from Monday, May 11, 2020.
- The Trade Marks Registry, Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad and Peshawar will be opened for public dealing / receiving documents after fulfillment of all precautions against Coronavirus COVID-19 from Monday 11th May, 2020;
- All information, inquiries and status of Trade Marks will ONLY be given on telephone or by email. IPO website is also available for information and guidance;
- Hearings of Opposition and ex-parte cases are still suspended till further order;
- Order passed by the Hon’ble High Court of Sindh, Karachi in Constitutional Petition No.D-2176/2020 will be followed strictly.
The Patent Office
Notice Regarding Certain Filing Deadlines
The Hon’ble High Court of Sindh, Karachi vide order dated 22-04-2020 passed in CP No.D-2176/2020 has ordered as under:-
- That IP Registries will resume public dealing and start receiving documents and Requests by Hand from Monday 4th May, 2020 (hereinafter referred to as the opening date), if the lockdown period has not been extended by the Federal/Provincial Government.
- That this opening date will be notified forthwith on IPO Pakistan’s website and also to the Association of IP Practitioners at Karachi and Lahore.
- That all cases, in which deadline for filing of Documents/Requests has expired during the lockdown period of 24th March to 3rd May, 2020, will be dealt in accordance with Section 10 of General Clauses Act, 1897 and these Documents/Requests will be accepted on the opening date as “filed within prescribed time”.
- That all cases, in which deadline for filing of Documents/Requests expires after the opening date, will be dealt with under the provisions of the respective IP Laws.
- All scanned and unstamped documents will be accepted for the time being subject to the filing of the signed version of the same documents as and when available.
Note:- The Federal/Provisional Government has extended the lockdown period upto May 09, 2020. In the light of aforesaid extension of lockdown period, the IP Registries will now resume public dealing and start receiving documents and Requests by Hand from Monday 11th May, 2020 provided that the lockdown period has not been further extended by the Federal/Provincial Government.
This circular is strictly in accordance with the comprise order passed by the Hon’ble High Court in CP No.D-2176/2020
Postponement of in-person hearings
All the scheduled hearings on IP matters including trademark, patent, design and copyright have been postponed from 25th March, 2020 and onward. The same shall be rescheduled later after opening of the IPO Offices for public dealing.
Establishment of Special Advocacy Desk for COVID-19 related IP matters
IPO-Pakistan is pleased to continue its facilitation services to support inventors, researchers and applicants who are contributing in technical terms to control COVID-19 Pandemic. These services have been offered free of cost in the public interest. The didactic IP Experts/Officers will be guiding applicants on application filing matters.
Please feel free to contact experts with respect to their fields of expertise as following :
For Biotechnology related inventions
- Ms. Saima Kanwal, Assistant Controller (Email: email@example.com)
- Ms. Shakra Khurshid, Assistant Controller (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
For Pharmaceutical inventions
- Ms. Zubia Hassan, Assistant Controller (Email: email@example.com)
- Ms. Tafseer Fatima, Assistant Controller (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Syed Muhammad Ali Zaidi, Patent Examiner (Email: email@example.com)
For Chemistry/Biochemistry related inventions
- Ms. Shams-un-Nisa, Assistant Controller (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Mr. Adnan Sabir, Patent Examiner (Email: email@example.com)
For Information Technology related inventions
- Mr. Ghulam Mujtaba Kamal, Assistant Controller (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
For Engineering/Biomedical Engineering related inventions
- Ms. Urooj Fatima, Patent Examiner (Email: email@example.com)
In case of any further assistance/query/complaint, please feel free to contact: